3 Bible Study Ideas for Summer
Bible study in the summer months can be challenging. In many ways, it can be overwhelming with so many other things competing for our time and energy. With this in mind, I want to share 3 things I have found that help families like yours, to include Bible study into your busy summer schedule.
Flashcards: Old Testament and New Testament flashcards provide a hands-on way of reviewing what children have learned.
- Encourage children to put the Bible flash cards in chronological order
- Using two sets of flashcards and play memory
- Have a child draw one flash card from a bowl and tell a fact about the character or event on that card. To make it harder, have each child tell a new fact until you run out of facts.
- Draw a card and retell the story of that character or event. If the person telling the story misses a fact, others can raise their hand and give the missing fact.
- Choose one character, put that character in a prominent location, and spend the week discussing their life, character, virtues, and how we can emulate them.
Timelines: Wall Timelines are a great way to see biblical history.
- Using sidewalk chalk, draw the timeline outside. This is great to do at church and help the adult see what you have learned this year in Sunday School. If you do it at home, it is a great conversation starter for your neighbors.
- Look up possible dates for each character or event on the timeline and add the date below the person/event.
- Review other world events happening during the same time as biblical events. Note them with index cards below the timeline.
Movie Night: Watching faith-based movies about biblical events is a fun summer activity.
- Choose movies related to a biblical character or events
- Discuss what facts the movie had right or which they had wrong
- Invite your family and friends then watch a movie with you outside
Summer can be a time where we so Bible study in a different way, yet remain faithful to disciple our children. We have several tools to help you this summer, just visit our website at GrapevineStudies.com
What are some things you have done or plan to do for summer Bible study for this summer?